photo home-76.png photo about-71.png photo contact-65.png photo press-19.png photo LDV.png photo services-7.png

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Personal Style, Defined: Elements of Style

Elements of Style was one of the first interior design blogs that I ever started reading. I loved that everything felt fresh and attainable, and I loved Erin's killer style. Like me, she tends to like layered spaces with various textures, colors, and of course, patterns. She likes to mix the classic with the trendy, the high with the low, until the perfect balance is achieved. I would be thrilled to have Erin design my home any day, so you can imagine how excited I am that she is participating in the Personal Style, Defined series.

Attempting to define my personal style through images was quite a challenge. Being "design ADD" renders me blessed with an open mind and broad adoration of various styles, but it also leaves me unable to contain myself in one "style". I can love a modern loft and a rustic country home with the same fervor. So what I did was go through my "favorites file" and just snag the images the jumped out at my first without thinking to hard about them. It was an interesting exercise (one that may help others when trying to define their own style) and left me with a series of images that veer towards bold color and a mix of modern and traditional styles.
These two images below sum it up the look nicely. Pattern makes me happy, weather it's in the form of an amazing wallpaper or a huge wall of books.


One thing that is for certain, I love me some zebra. Truly, it's hard for me to design a room without a little punch of zebra somewhere. It adds a graphic quality to any style decor without being modern OR traditional. These entryways below are bit more modern, but I simply adore them in all their zebra-ness. From Ashley Whittaker's amazing wallpapered hall to Jonathan Adler's pink walls. One equation that always creates a perfect look in this area of the house= a console + ottoman(s)+ dramatic mirror+lamps or tall accessories.

This vignette is so completely me- orange and turquoise are a color combo I have not tired of!

This room by Miles Redd is so over the top and so very me. Anyone who upholsters doors in zebra with nail heads (another fave of mine) is rock star in my book The gallery style art wall and traditional furniture adds up to a space that is unexpected, happy and comfortable at the same time.


This living room is designed by a fellow Boston designer and I have always LOVED the mural on the wall. Another example of adding something unexpected to a room while keeping the overal furniture rather traditional.

Jenna Lyon's home is one that I could move into and be just fine (note: more zebra. I may need to find a recovery group for zebra addicts). If I could have any space in the world to live in, it would probably be a space with the classic architectural detail of this one. Large windows, high ceilings, detailed trim work, old wood floors- nothing would make me happier!

Do I even need to explain why I love her "closet"? And her bathroom which is so simple but so dramatic. Black paint is so in my future with whatever space we move into next. It is so rich and makes every element in a room pop (like the brass plumbing in this one).

Now for my three most favorite kitchens of all time. The first designed by Brooke Gianetti of Velvet & Linen. This light filled space is clean, classic and just AMAZING.

For something with a bit more punch, Gwyneth Paltrow's kitchen in her Hampton's house makes me weak in the knees. The graphite grey cabinets and the white chandeliers hung over the island are so unique. A prime example of why life is not fair: she gets this kitchen AND Chris Martin? Share the wealth, sista....

This eat-in Windsor Smith kitchen has long been a favorite of mine too- and a bit more on the traditional side. The combination of faux bamboo side chairs and monogrammed wingback chairs leaves me breathless.

I wish the whole kitchen had a floor like this one though- how magnificent!

Two bedrooms that certainly define my style- the Miles Redd designed bedroom with chinoiserie paper and canopy bed (a pair of colored ceramic gourd lamps ALWAYS makes a space delightful in my opinion!) This other bedroom by Amanda Nisbet puts all the focus on a simply stunning light fixture.

The minute I saw Mary McDonald's office in Domino I am pretty sure I screamed. Again, the combination of traditional, feminine details with modern, graphic punches is exactly how I like my own space to look.

My adoration of her work continues in these two spaces of her own home...that herringbone painted floor? *Sigh*

And finally, a space that is VERY important to me- outdoor space. I love being outside and a city roof deck like this one below (in my town of Boston) would suit me just fine. As would sitting by a fire in a more suburban location, like the home of Pieces owner Lee Kleinhelter.

Thanks for having me by Paloma, I hope you all enjoyed a peek inside my favorite spaces!


22 comments:

deliciously organized said...

You had me at Elements of Style…Erin’s blog is the first blog that I ever read. I love her style from fashion to interior design and also was thrilled that someone else in this world was obsessed with zebra. I would love to have her over any day to design my space any day. I l-o-v-e her style. Thank you so much for sharing this one in your wonderful series! -carlee

Chic Coles said...

What a girl! Thank you so much for the feature on Erin from Elements of Style. Her collection of images are spot on. Everyone of them gave us a thrill.

Unknown said...

loved always elements of style
the enviorment, the style it all reminds me of something I have in my memory and like to remember:
http://www.casablancabyb.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2&Itemid=4
kiss kiss

LindsB said...

Love this Personal Style edition, Erin has such great taste in everything!

chateaudelu said...

I had not seen some of those photos of Lyons' home, they are all spectacular yet so lived in, jealous!

Cameron said...

This was so fun!

Katherine said...

I adore your blog!

Anonymous said...

love all the photos especially the pink room!!!

Erin Gates said...

THank you Paloma! My lack of spell check/typos is kinds horrifying, but it looks great anyways! :)

colette's cottage said...

Thank you for asking Erin to to participate in the series! I have such a design crush on her website. Her style is all about rooms that celebrate the happiness that good interior design can instill in a room.

Design Esquire said...

Love this post. Elements of Style was one of the first design blogs I found, so it has a special place in my heart. I love seeing all of her inspirational images.

Sarah Ring said...

I too enjoy her blog and this series! Keep it coming Paloma!

Jill Kemerer said...

I found your site from my Better Homes and Garden subscription, and I'm delighted! Beautiful pictures--it's like a five minute vacation. Thank you very much!

Averill said...

What a great post, Paloma! EofS was the very first style blog I started following last summer and, nearly a year later, it's snowballed into HUGE blogging and design addictions.

Lauren said...

Paloma- love this series & love erin's style!!!!! she always has the best ideas.
xoxo

Daly Essentials said...

Elements of Style was the first blog I started reading too! So fun to see her pick her ultimate favorites!

Anonymous said...

Can someone's style be any more like mine!?! I love her blog too :]

mb said...

Erin, yes you are the very best. I love each and every photo you included in your favorite spaces. I may just need to hire you to help me in Dallas.
Thanks for the great eye candy today.

Paris Hotel Boutique said...

Paloma, what a great post about Erin! Yes, she too was one of my early blog reads. Great style and taste! Lynn

Jessica Define said...

She was one of my firsts, too! (and I believe I was sent there by YOU!!) I'll have to look through your older posts to see which one it was.

Velvet and Linen said...

Erin has fantastic style! Like her post, her blog is always filled with inspiration.
I am so honored to have one of our kitchens included.
Wow!

xo
Brooke

Tammy@InStitches said...

Wow, there are some seriously gorgeous pics up there. I'm glad I found your blog !