photo home-76.png photo about-71.png photo contact-65.png photo press-19.png photo LDV.png photo services-7.png

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

London Style

It would be a nearly impossible feat to try to contain British style to a few categories, but seeing as how we are heading to London in a mere two days, I have had London style on the brain non-stop. Well, that and a to-do list with about a million things on it that need to be done before Friday. When I think of Londoner's style in general, the words sophisticated, cutting-edge, edgy, ladylike, and chic all come to mind. The same is true of how I feel about London interiors despite the fact that I haven't been there just yet. Today, I am featuring three stylish London homes from the pages of Living, etc. that I feel represent London style.

The first home, seen above and immediately below is my favorite for its mix of new and vintage pieces as well as the use of color and patterns. The vibe is definitely edgy and a little subversive with a bit of a punk attitude.


I love the graphic rug, dark furniture, and antique trunk coffee table.

Same room, different view
Who doesn't love a fabulous starburst and a great selection of reading material?


The dressing room features a more serene color palette. I love the wall color and the fantastic built-ins.

The following home belongs to accessories designer, LuLu Guiness. The British are frequently regarded as sophisticated, polished, and well-mannered. This often translates into their interiors and in the past it has been interpreted with traditional furnishings and chintz fabrics. I am definitely not a fan of that look. Though I consider myself to be rather feminine, I like my interiors to have a bit of a masculine edge. Pretty is not enough for me.
I absolutely love Guiness' modern twist on classic, prim British style. Her Victorian townhouse is utterly feminine and flirty with a cheeky sense of humor. While pretty and feminine, it is modern enough not to leave a saccharin after-taste.


LuLu and her dog in her gorgeous, light-filled kitchen

I love this silhouette print! I think she almost looks like Sophia Loren in the 1960s.

Pretty and not at all stuffy

Lulu's bathroom is fabulous! I love the paintcolor and tilework, along with the gorgeous lucite vanity and vintage chair.

I have found that new construction in most of the world veers towards streamlined minimalism and that definitely comes to mind when I think of British interiors. I think of London especially, as a sleek, modern city, so I would imagine that many of its inhabitants would want to live that way. This last home is a loft in East London's Shoreditch neighborhood. While the lines are sleek and its nature as a loft invites a natural sort of minimalism, the owners have softened it up through their use of a warm color palette and layers of textures and accessories.

I love the exposed brick in the bedroom. The white linens, billowy drapes, and capiz chandelier give it a very romantic feel.

I love the glam element they've added through the use of this metallic wallpaper.

The large living area is clearly defined and features a variety of textures.

I love the vintage industrial vibe that the styling and use of accessories have given this otherwise modern kitchen. The exposed brick also softens the space a great deal.

All images via
Living, etc.

16 comments:

The Goods Design said...

GORGEOUS images! I feel silly putting the Union Jack in my home as neither my husband or I have any British heritage, but it's so cute I might have to pretend!

Karen said...

I have watched some English design shows and usually the spaces seem very disjointed and often dark and dingy. These are stunning.

confessions of a design addict said...

Love seeing the Brits way of decorating. My daughter is moving to London next week and we are right on it!! Watch out East End!

Averill said...

Gorgeous. I absolutely love LivingEtc -- if only it weren't $9 an issue here stateside! Ah well, be sure to pick up plenty of good reading material while you're across the pond. :)

Sarah Greenman said...

Love love love the living space with the union jack and tufted sofa. Beautiful post! Thank you, once again!

Clayton Gray Home said...

We have a subscription as well and it is expensive, but so worth it. Love that light fixture in the kitchen and that brick....

Pigtown*Design said...

Love it all!

Have a brilliant time!

thoughts running through my head.... said...

I am in England and its funny that you have picked 2 of my favourites from Living ETC!!We dont all have such big homes though-especially in London where property is sooooo expensive!

Design Actually said...

My favorite is the first house too, love the sunburst mirror & the graphic rug. Great blog, this is the first time I'm reading it...looks like I have a lot of browsing to do:)

Tricia - Avolli said...

Love Lulu in her kitchen...and the dog is cute too!

Have a great trip!

Tricia

Sarah Ring said...

My favorite rooms are the ones with the exposed brick. I just love industrial elements!!

Angie said...

I love the little imperfections, actually. For instance, in the brickwall bedroom, the lampshades are different shapes and slightly different sizes. And in the lovely pink living room (with the told mirror) I adore the seemingly out of place green vase and sunflowers. Little quirks that say "I don't need perfection" are simply....perfect!

Valerie Wills Interiors said...

Oooo I'm jealous. I'm British and miss London terribly (now living in San Francisco). If you get a chance read my London guest blogs on Decorati. I've written 4 so far (a Mayfair blog is pending)about different areas, markets and I also mention places to eat. Enjoy London. It's a fabulous City.

Val

http://access.decorati.com/2009/06/19/valerie%e2%80%99s-london-guide-to-posh-shopping-in-kensington-chelsea/

http://access.decorati.com/2009/07/01/valeries-london-a-stroll-down-the-lane-at-portobello-road-market/

http://access.decorati.com/2009/07/17/valeries-london-find-the-gems-at-the-camden-lock-market/

http://access.decorati.com/2009/08/15/valeries-london-bermondsey-market/

Homes-Suite-Homes said...

I love the images that you picked to portay English style. I myself live in London so it's good to know you think we Londoners can be stylish with our interiors.
I have to say I particularly liked the image with the metalic wallpaper!
I also love the bedroom with the exposed brick wall. I did a post about creating everygirl's dream bedroom, one of the images there also featured a exposed brick wall. I just think these types of walls make such a statement. I would love to know what you think of my post and the images, you should check it out: http://www.homes-suite-homes.com/2009/08/10/every-girls-dream/

Creategirl said...

Somehow I missed Lulu's home! So sweet, I love her in the kitchen! I would work all day in that light filled kitchen nook! Great post!

Sidney Ann said...

That tufted couch is nothing short of amazing! Great blog ;)