photo home-76.png photo about-71.png photo contact-65.png photo press-19.png photo LDV.png photo services-7.png

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Falling in Love with London's Doorways

{How perfect is this? I love the color of the medallion and the fancy script that reads No. 1. Of course, it's number one!}

London is such an easy city to fall in love with. There are so many incredible things about it and best of all, it leaves you wanting more. One of my favorite things about the city was the gorgeous architecture. Elegant and stately, everything is very clean, well-manicured, and ultra charming. There were so many houses that I was completely smitten by in London, but I have always loved doors and doorways, so they especially caught my eye on this trip.

Perfect Symmetry

I'm not crazy about the glass block steps on the left, but I thought it was interesting to see how neighbors had updated their doorways over time.

I fell in love with this quaint, little street.

Love the turquoise!

Kensington- Notice the placement of the doorknob.

Knightsbridge

Knightsbridge






Isn't this the most beautiful shade of blue? I think this is my favorite color right now.



So many buildings have these charming flower boxes...


especially the pubs. I would say the pubs probably had the most beautiful displays of flowers spilling from their windows.



A less elegant, more industrial, but no less charming residential building in the East End

I love the beautiful, feminine details of these doorways, especially the one on the left. This was definitely one of my favorites.

Around the Corner from Spitalfield's Market

A little austere, but lovely nonetheless

I love this. Do you think the neighbors are friends? They must get along fairly well in order to have agreed on colors that complement each other this well. I can't get over how perfectly straight the line dividing the colors in the center is.


I thought this cascading plant was gorgeous! Any idea what it might be?

As much as I loved the bright colored doors, I thought black was a great choice for this home.
So many doors had doorknobs in the center of the door as opposed to on the left, which I thought was really neat. I also love the doorknocker here.
All of the homes at the Tower of London have bright, turquoise doors.

A Stately Home near Buckingham Palace. Aren't the doors gorgeous?


I thought this townhouse on Gloucester Road was exceptionally pretty.

Masculine and Elegant

Royal Blue in a Royal City

A Cute Little House

I thought this old red door was really neat. I didn't see too many red doors in London. Various shades of blue seemed to be favored over red. I don't think the trim color really goes with the red door, but I digress.

Another quaint street with lovely homes in Kensington

These pretty flower doorknobs were everywhere in the British Museum!

This house was hands-down, one of my favorites. I love the flowers spilling out of the windows, the stately black doors, and the fabulous sign with the street number. So gorgeous!

20 comments:

vicki archer said...

I love seeing London through your eyes, xv.

Katie said...

That was beautiful. Thank you for sharing. Your post made my day being able to enjoy all that beauty! One day I'll make it over there.

Antigona said...

The signs of the Pubs were absolutely amazing. I loved the bright red in most of them in contrast with the worn out pattina of old brick. London is so beautiful.

Karen said...

I love London...love the turquoise doors especially. Thanks for sharing.

Sarah's Fab Day said...

I love doors, they're my favorite architectural element. Seeing all of these together made me very happy. So pretty!

Katherine said...

Wow, you really got around over there-- love the photos! I've stayed near that townhouse on Gloucester Road-- sooo pretty!

I love the all the window flowers and English ivy. Incredibly charming. Thank you for brightening my day!

A Bowl Of Mush said...

Aww really pretty! I miss London so much, I lived there for 5 years.
I linked this on my twitter. Beautiful post.

Susan said...

Awesome photos of London! it looks like you had an amazing trip and accomplished/got to see a lot while you were there!

High-Heeled Foot in the door said...

Fab posts. I loved seeing all the doors! Such fun. I'll have to take note of the same thing the next time I'm on vaca.

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

Each more inviting than the last. Beautiful London. My favourite London hotel has the best doorway. Just outside they always keep large urns filled with fresh apples. Red apples on one side, green apples on the other. It's marvelous.

Sarah Ring said...

Love all of your London photos! I need to go back...

Ps. Please send some of your design genius my way at my blog today. I am having a vintage chair debate of sorts, haha.

Christina said...

That charming little street and the doors with the knobs in the middle remind me of my favorite seen from the movie Love Actually when Mark tells Juliet he loves her and then has to walk away! Beautiful post!

Cathi said...

very charming....someday, I hope to see all of these in person!

Celeste said...

The cascading plant in your London pictures looks quite a lot like Alabama Kudzu. It's a complete and total nuisance here in the south, but it bears a striking resemblance to the plant in your photo!

Alicia B. Designs said...

I love doors! Thanks for taking all these pictures--you're making me want to go to London!

Anonymous said...

Yes - the doors and colours of London were two of my favourite things when I lived there. I love how they paint their houses in contrasting colours with a neat partition at the boarder between the properties.. So British and so lovely!
I miss my ol' London town!!

Lovely post!
xCharlotta

Averill said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous gorgeous! And I agree with you -- that bold blue door is absolutely stunning...definitely my favorite.

Yansy said...

I absolutely love every shot!

Valerie Wills Interiors said...

OOOooo I miss London - most of the properties you love are Georgian which are my all time favourites too. Hard to imagine that the quaint cobble-stoned streets with the mews houses used to be stables for the larger houses around them! Nowadays these mews homes costs millions to purchase!

Dominique said...

Those glass steps look dangerous after a rain :X