photo home-76.png photo about-71.png photo contact-65.png photo press-19.png photo LDV.png photo services-7.png

Tuesday, February 5, 2008

How was your day, honey?

Every evening when my husband arrives home from work, I ask him about his day and he asks me about mine. "How was your day, honey?" I asked this evening, to which he replied "Oh, you know. It was really busy. I started working on a project with a guy named Nate Berkus. Have you heard of him?"

"Have I heard of him? Of course I've heard of him! He is a great designer! You know, he's the uber-cutie that Oprah has on her show all the time. I love him!" I shriek at my husband. He then proceeds to tell me that he knew the name, but couldn't remember what he looked like.

Then, as all sweet husbands do, he asked "How was your day?".

"How was my day, you ask? Well, I spent the majority of my time telling kids to stop talking and tried coaxing them into doing their work. But don't worry, I managed to get some Spanish in when I wasn't teaching teenagers about the wonders of common courtesy." It's a joy to teach these things when you thought you'd signed on to teach AP Spanish. "Oh, and you know that cute white button down I bought a couple of weeks ago with the ruffle neckline?(I can't find a picture of it and have already changed out of it, but I assure you, it is very cute) I wore that today and my students (teen boys) let me know that my shirt looked like it was "from the 1800's", was "very piratey", and asked if I've ever watched the episode of Seinfeld with the puffy shirt. (For the record, it looks nothing like that. Not even close!) It was great, honey. Thanks for asking!"

Lucky hubby. He gets to speak to Nate Berkus and work on projects like Gwyneth Paltrow's house and the Sex and the City Movie . Meanwhile, it's "Aaarrrgh! A pirate's life for me...".

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

What!!! I can't believe it. I love Nate Berkus so much. Maybe you should volunteer to be your husband's assistant for a while, all the while carrying a camera for behind the scenes shots.

Barbara Jacksier said...

Nate may be cute but I would just repeat you husband's name all day to cheer myself up. So romantic...

Tricia said...

A. What on earth does Fabian do that he gets to do such fun things?

B. I am pretty sure you didn't look like a pirate, but don't you hate when a good outfit gets ruined by what someone says about it. I have some bermuda shorts that I love from J. Crew. Classy. I even own the perfect shoes for them. And Kenny? He says, "Uh what? You couldn't decide if you were wearing pants of shorts, so you went for a combo of both?" I still loves those pants, but I think about that everytime I put them on!

Polka Dot Bride said...

I love Nate! what a hilarious story :) Your shirt sounds very pretty and hey at least your teen boy students chat with you!

amy said...

Ha! That made me laugh out loud... I guess kids in high school don't change much from elementary because that sounds an awful lot like my day!! ha! :)

PS I LOVE Nate too!!!!!!! Adorable.

Sheri said...

Oh geez! Well, think of this way-- you actually get to dress up. I don't know, somehow playgroup and ruffle shirts just don't mesh well. I also have to live vicariously through Daniel and his tales of the clientele he deals with.

Anonymous said...

Well, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum. You should tell them that not only do you dress like a pirate but that you have a peg leg, and if they don't do their work you'll make them walk the plank. Don't even get me started on keel-hauling...

mrsplainjane said...

His job sounds like definitely has its perks!

Unknown said...

For a minute there I thought you were going to say that's a picture of your husband.

I live in Australia, and wouldn't be caught dead watching Oprah, so didn't know who Nate was.

I still get the disparity between you and your husband's lives though, and btw, what makes it ok for the teenage boys to comment on your CLOTHES?! Did you tell them they all looked like farcical knockoffs of fifty cent?

Incredibly rude of them, although I'd say they only commented on it because they think you're cute too.

You'll have to make something up for the 'how was your day?' question. Say you tamed a lion or learned Japanese or went skydiving, just to see if he's listening!

katiedid said...

My Goodness! What DOES your husband DO?!? And I am sure that you look nothing like pirate, unless you count Keira Knightly.

Unknown said...

Katie, he works for Visual Comfort. They design and manufacture lighting for private labels and their retail company, Circa lighting

TIG said...

Lucky husband, working with dreamy Nate! And am certain your shirt looked lovely and not at all "piratey" :)