photo home-76.png photo about-71.png photo contact-65.png photo press-19.png photo LDV.png photo services-7.png

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Design Under the Influence: The Peacock Chair

Brigitte Bardot
Hello it's Erika from small shop, with another "Design Under the Influence" -- topic: the peacock chair. Growing up in the 70's in Hawaii, I suppose it was only natural that my parents should own a rattan peacock chair — I didn't think much of it! Nowadays, they definitely represent a Bohemian Chic vibe a la Brigitte Bardot or Stevie Nicks (and I am totally digging that).
Although popular in the 1970's, the peacock chair arrived in the U.S. and England in the 19th-century with the introduction of rattan from China. Importers were bringing back these fanciful pieces as novelty items initially, but (I thought it was really interesting) a young American named Cyrus Wakefield found scraps of rattan used to tie cargo onto ships and wrapped a rocking chair with it...and so began the wicker industry. In 1855 he started a rattan company, later becoming one of the prime producers of wicker furniture in the U.S..
Today peacock chairs have made a comeback, and I especially love all of the brightly colored adaptations! They're not hard to find, and you could spray paint your own with some time and effort. What do you think, would you use a peacock chair in your home or on your patio?
Are you feeling it too?

17 comments:

The Golden Girls said...

absolutely love this! brining back old trends... we find the greatest influence from the past!

BE SURE TO ENTER OUR KAI FRAGRANCE GIVEAWAY!
The Golden Girls SPA GIVEAWAY

Amanda || Eclectic Snapshots said...

I've always been a fan of the peacock chair but after this post I'm obsessed! I NEED one for myself!

Kelsey Elizabeth said...

I would love to find one of these babies to fix up! The pink little one is my favorite. Reminds me of playing in my grandma's house growing up :)

Elizabeth said...

You know I have that wicker/chrome coffee table - painting it black this weekend! Love the post, E!
xoxo -e (modern24seven)

Anonymous said...

YES! I have that blanket that Jamie Meares has! It's my favorite! I think I need one of these chairs for it to sit on!!! Love the idea of mixing it with the modern Panton chair!! Great post Erika! xoxo

Erin said...

I'm feeling it! Now I need to find one to buy. Ha!

http://leeanderin.blogspot.com/

Jinelle said...

I totally remember my grandmother having a peacock chairs for many years! She has since moved and sold all of her stuff and I'm so upset that I didn't grab this from her!

Antionette Blake said...

Yes, this was the chair used for all college dance pictures!

Chelsea **A Bit of Sass** said...

These chairs are such fun statements. I saw one in an alley and drove past due to my fear of germs...I'm kicking myself for not snagging it though.
Cheers!
Chelsea, www.abitofsass.blogspot.com

cosplay costumes said...

The chairs are amazing!I really love it!I need one!

Jeannine | The Small and Chic Home said...

I guess I'll be the lone voice of dissent? I usually like a good throwback piece, but can''t get this one. Maybe there's an age gap? To some, these things were in the rooms of cool, older sisters and to me, it's the uncomfortable chair that was in my friend's rooms?

Unknown said...

oh yes, I would! :)

Anonymous said...

I recently snagged on from Craigslist for only $25!

Marisa/Stylebeat said...

How did you find all these wonderful examples! They are fab. Love
Marisa
Stylebeat

PSD To Wordpress said...

A very descent looking peacock chair!

Unknown said...

I've always been a fan of the peacock chair because it give me anxious feeling. so i open a peacock chair shop for public. if you want to see my collection then you most welcome on my online shop.

Peacock Chair

Anonymous said...

I am glad I found a vintage website. I have two of these chairs and a sofa and side table. I was considering selling for $25 - $30. each and then I saw the chairs in retro furniture at $2200.00 I am keeping everything and will decorate around them.