photo home-76.png photo about-71.png photo contact-65.png photo press-19.png photo LDV.png photo services-7.png

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

California Dreamin’: Juxtaposition Home

California Fall 2010 151

One of the highlights from my trip to Southern California last week was the fact that I was finally able to visit Juxtaposition Home. I was one of the first people to blog about the store a couple of years ago and had been dying to see it in person ever since. Let me tell you folks, it did not disappoint! First of all, the owner, Michele and her colleagues, Ellen and Lynn could not have been more delightful. They were so gracious and sweet and made us feel right at home. Let’s just say that my friend and I were in the store for two hours, if that gives you any idea of how well we got along with the wonderful Juxtapostion team.

Aside from the amazing hospitality, the store is an absolute feast for the eyes! Each vignette is more stunning and inspiring than the last. The store is filled with unique furnishings, textiles, and accessories. They have everything from gorgeous bedding and beautiful lighting to vintage artwork and one of a kind casegoods. Part of Juxtaposition’s mission is to offer authentic, unique pieces that add character and sentimental value to one’s home and they have truly succeeded in doing so. There were so many things that I wanted to take home with me, but alas, I wouldn’t have been able to fit it all in my suitcase. I did, however, score some Hicks’ La Fiorentina fabric for an amazing price ($31/yard)! Juxtaposition is the type of store that we should all be supporting. Not only for their wonderful merchandise, but because of the passion Michele and her team feel for good, unique design in a world that sometimes lacks originality. While you’ll have to pay a visit to the Newport Coast, California store for some of their textiles and smaller goods (it’s worth the trip, trust me!), you can find some of Juxtaposition’s more substantial pieces on 1st Dibs now.

 California Fall 2010 147 {The Amazing Juxtaposition Home is a Veritable Treasure Trove for Design Lovers}

California Fall 2010 140

{London Calling}

California Fall 2010 144

{So Many Lovely Details}

California Fall 2010 137

{I love the bed, mirrors, lamp, and bedspread in this beautiful vignette.}

California Fall 2010 150

{Juxtaposition is at once chic and eclectic.}

California Fall 2010 164

{Fun Accessories: Vintage Letters, Coralie Bickford-designed Penguin Classics Books, and Tin Can Candles}

California Fall 2010 153

{I love the group of portraits on the wall here. I was with my friend, Jeni all of last week and we kept seeing these Ficus Lyrata trees everywhere and were soon obsessed with them. Does anyone know if they would work in Houston’s climate?}

California Fall 2010 152

{The whitewashed color of this bed is so striking against the soothing grey wall. I am also in love with that convex mirror. It is such a fabulous size!}

California Fall 2010 154

{An Assortment of Fabrics Available by the Yard}

California Fall 2010 155

{Juxtaposition is home to a wonderful selection of design books.}

California Fall 2010 159

{John Derian}

California Fall 2010 160

{This series of portraits from Amsterdam was even more amazing in person. They are each so charming. I also love the Visual Comfort lamps.}

California Fall 2010 161 {Not only does this sofa look incredibly cozy, it also looks fabulous in the surroundings!}

California Fall 2010 136

{A Lovely Array of Accessories and Books}

 

For more information on Juxtaposition, please visit their website.

 

{All Images by Paloma Contreras. Please do not use images without written consent.}

19 comments:

Jade @ Flip Flops + Pearls Design said...

I can easily see how you spent two hours there! What a wonderful place!

Anonymous said...

Paloma, Thank you for the post! And you made the store look great. I so loved meeting you. Please come visit anytime and we love your creativity and blog.
Best,
Michele Graham

The Purse-a-holic said...

Just gorgeous!

I feel like I want to take everything home when I visit stores like these. Then after an hr or so it dawns on me...my tiny one bedroom condo can only hold so much. :-(

Anonymous said...

I literally CANNOT go into that store because I want EVERYTHING in it! Such a great place with so many finds.

Lissa Pierce said...

What an amazing store!!!! I could also see myself in there for hours....and then I would be in trouble :)

mrsplainjane said...

These are GREAT pics! I was so busy wandering and chatting I'm loving browsing these and getting a second chance to look through things.

I second that the team @ Juxtaposition was nothing but wonderful to spend time with- they were incredibly helpful... even if Ellen made me cry when I read that book "I Can't Wait." ;) I went back after Paloma had to fly out, and they were so helpful with fabric samples.

So glad we got a chance to meeet Michele and hear about her passion for the store and how she got started. Truly the highlight of that day spending time with the people who have created such an amazing space. I've always loved the store, but on so much more of a personal level now. To everyone that has the opportunity- GO THERE ASAP!!

Jen said...

I could live in that store! Amazing!

jenna ♥ a little blue said...

oh i can't wait to visit them! thanks for sharing :)

ALR said...

Okay, I am ready to book a flight. I think I could spend the whole day in there just rolling around on the pretty furniture and fabrics by the yard, oh my! Thanks for the great post, as always!

Anonymous said...

i think that plant will work in houston. there's a store "Tall Plants, etc" on 10 at voss (?) that carries great house plants.

Ashley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ashley said...

The tree you have in your pics is actually a fiddle leaf fig tree. They do work in Houston...I have one and I'm a Houstonian. I first fell in love with the tree when I saw one at Mecox in Highland Village. Their price was something like $350, but I bought mine at Cornelius Nursery on Voss between Westheimer and Woodway.
Hope this helps!
Your blog is awesome by they way!

Lauren said...

I am so excited to have found your site! That store is amazing and financially dangerous!

Courtney said...

I bought mine just like that from Tall Plants! Love that someone else mentioned it. Great post and wonderful store!!

Unknown said...

So glad to hear that the Fiddle Leaf Fig will work in Houston. I've actually bought a few plants at Tall Plants. Dennis is so nice and helpful. I'll have to pay him a visit for a fig tree soon!

Debra said...

Wow! I could have a ball in Juxtapostion. I could have a field day there and be in there for hours there is so much wonderful stuff.

Arianna Belle said...

This is definitely another reason to take a trip to Newport Beach asap! The shop looks incredible! What colorway did you get the La Fiorentina fabric in? It's my absolute favorite fabric and have been trying to save up to upholster a headboard in it!

Fluff your nest said...

Dear Paloma, I love your blog. I am in Southern California and Juxtaposition is one of my favorite stores. I am in love with their new paint color. Does anyone have any suggestions? It's a beautiful light gray, very neutral, does not go to purple.

Fluff your nest said...
This comment has been removed by the author.