photo home-76.png photo about-71.png photo contact-65.png photo press-19.png photo LDV.png photo services-7.png

Monday, October 25, 2010

Book Review: Peter Pennoyer Architects & The Irish Country House

penoyer

{I love these amazing pocket doors and the perfect shade of blue in this dining room by Peter Pennoyer Architects.}

The generous people at Vendome Press recently asked if I would be interested in reviewing copies of their new books, Peter Pennoyer Architects and The Irish Country House. I always love to check out new design books so I agreed to take a look at the new books. Any time that I am sent something, I make sure that the sender knows beyond a shadow of a doubt that I will only write about it in a favorable light and the only way that will happen is if I truly love it. Luckily, there were no awkward moments to be had in this situation because I truly enjoyed both books.

 penoyer2

Peter Pennoyer Architects focuses on twenty of the firm’s recently-completed projects including country homes, townhouses, and apartments. Each of Pennoyer’s projects is extremely polished, though the style ranges from very traditional to more of a transitional look like you’ll see in the pictures I’ve chosen for this post.

penoyer5

{While Pennoyer’s projects include entire homes and many beautiful, thoughtful details, my favorite rooms in the book are the kitchens the firm has designed.}

penoyer7

{This is one of my favorite rooms in the book! I love the cabinetry, lighting, and the contrast of the dark floors and honed black granite against the white cabinetry.}

penoyer8 {A Second Look at the Same Lovely Kitchen}

irish country3The second book that I was invited to review was The Irish Country House.  While my own design sensibility is typically more modern, I thoroughly enjoyed learning about these fascinating old estates and the Irish characters who lived in them for generations. The homes are filled with antiques, mysterious relics, family photographs, and an endless amount of inspiration and intrigue. There is something about grand old castles and homes that captures one’s imagination in a way that most other things cannot.

irish country2

{Each house has so many thoughtful details like these floors and arches. There is a storybook quality to each home featured in this book.”}

penoyer4 {I would have loved to see this kitchen in action 100 years ago!}

irish country

{This gorgeous, classic stationery was one of many thoughtful details in the book.}

 

{Images Courtesy of Vendome Press}

8 comments:

All things nice... said...

Lovely to see an Irish book review, most the country houses and castles listed in the Irish book are less well known. They are no the main tourist/visitor houses but they are truely as beautiful, I love exploring these old estate houses that are dotted all over Ireland, one of the many things I love about home :) Thanks for sharing.

All things nice...

designchic said...

What beautiful books...new ones to add to my ever growing Christmas list of design books ~

Lonely Wife Project said...

I'm obsessed with those light fixtures in the kitchen!!!

Jami - XOimagine said...

This is such a beautiful post filled with gorgeous images! Love the black pocket doors - nice little surprise. Nice post Paloma!!

xo - jami
i m a g i n e

Laura Casey Interiors said...

I was on their website last night, all of the work is stunning. I am looking forward to getting this book, thanks for the preview.

Carpe Diem said...

The pocket doors are truly a piece of art...at least when they're closed. I also love the shade of blue used in the dinning room This design book looks like a treasure...or at least it seems it is filled many treasures. Thanks.

Laura Trevey said...

So beautiful and romantic... lovely green gardens...

xoxo Laura

Michelle said...

Wow, perfection in my book. That garden!!!!!