photo home-76.png photo about-71.png photo contact-65.png photo press-19.png photo LDV.png photo services-7.png

Thursday, January 7, 2010

Style Profile: Lazaro Rosa Violan

studio
Yesterday, I blogged about the beautiful Hotel Pulitzer in Barcelona after having fallen in love with its design. Upon doing a little research, I found out that the hotel was designed by Spanish interior designer, Lázaro Rosa Violán, who has soared to the top of my list of favorite designers. Violán is a self-described “urban archaeologist” and “style hunter”, which I can certainly appreciate. Violán has been designing restaurants and hotels in his native Spain since 1990. His interiors are perfectly layered, with various styles blending together perfectly. Violán’s palettes are typically sophisticated and restrained and he balances masculinity with a touch of glamour nearly every time. In a word, his work is sublime. According to Violán: “The interior designer is an actor. He must dress up and change roles, understand new identities and integrate them with his own.” This personal philosophy of his further concretes my opinion of Violán as a true design visionary.
Hotels:
{Hotel Pulitzer Roma}
Hotel Pulitzer Contemporary design 3
Hotel Pulitzer Interior design 1

{Hotel Market, Barcelona}
1 Hotel Market and Restaurant Barcelona
2 Hotel Market and Restaurant Barcelona
3 Hotel Market and Restaurant Barcelona
5 Hotel Market and Restaurant Barcelona

{Hotel Praktik Rambla, Barcelona}
1 PRAKTIK Rambla Hotel Barcelona
6 PRAKTIK Rambla Hotel Barcelona
3 PRAKTIK Rambla Hotel Barcelona

Restaurants:
{Big Fish, Barcelona}
We HAVE to go to this restaurant when we visit Barcelona! The design is incredible! I love the rough luxe look of it all. The combination of worn, whiskey-colored chairs, floating capiz chandeliers, industrial pendants, and black and white palette are too good to miss! Let’s just hope the food is half as delicious as the décor!
1 Big Fish restaurant Barcelona
2 Big Fish Contemporary restaurant Barcelona
3 Restaurant Interior Big Fish
4 Big Fish Contemporary restaurant Barcelona 2
5 Big Fish Contemporary restaurant Barcelona

{Bazaar, Madrid}
1 Bazaar Restaurant design Chueca
3 Bazaar Restaurant design Chueca
4 Bazaar Restaurant design Chueca

{Fishop, Barcelona}
1 Contemporary restaurant design FISHOP
2 Contemporary restaurant design FISHOP

{Miu, Barcelona}
Miu 3
Miu 4

{Flamant Café, Barcelona}
3 Flamant Interior Design
4 Flamant Interior Design
5 Flamant Interior Design
7 Flamant Interior Design

{La Polpa, Barcelona}
1 La Polpa Contemporary Interiors
2 La Polpa Contemporary Interiors

{La Rita, Barcelona}
1 La Rita Interior
4 La Rita Interior

Retail:
{Felix, Barcelona}
1 Felix Shop Interior design
2 Felix Shop Interior design
3 Felix Shop Interior design
Click on the images to enlarge them and see them in their full glory! I keep going back and looking at them in order to take in every detail.
Image Credit: Lázaro Rosa Violán

24 comments:

Connie @ SogniESorrisi said...

Just lovely. So elegant and understated. Love that tufted white couch.

Jaime Rogers said...

I love his work, thanks so much for the introduction!

Best,
Jaime

Helena - A Diary of Lovely said...

I've been to la Polpa ages ago and I remember how much I liked the design!
Thanks for sharing!

Brilliant Asylum said...

We are headed to Barcelona in the spring too--thanks for the travel tips!

teebarnes said...

Really stunning spaces! Another interior designer for me to bookmark. Thanks!

Katie @ Noodle and Boof said...

AH! I died! I'm Barcelona-obsessed! Loved the images! Thanks! :)

vmichelle said...

These are beautiful. But they have a certain something hard to describe (I like that!) Sort of a modern sensibility, mixed in with the past. Openness, but detail and texture and layers.

Yoli said...

Paloma these are exquisite!

Alaina @ Live Creating Yourself said...

This just went to the top 10 of my favorite blog posts ever. I can't get enough of these images. Downloading all to my desktop now... thank you, thank you for finding and sharing information on this designer and his gorgeous work!!

Cheers,
Alaina

Gwen Driscoll said...

Thank you for the introduction to this designer. His work is phenomenal. I'm designing a restaurant this year so this inspiration was much needed and helpful.

Talk soon.

Gwen

Averill said...

I love Violan's built-ins in some many of these spaces -- they're really gorgeous. Also, I love his portrait with his dog; they totally match! Thanks for sharing, Paloma.

Unknown said...

So funny, I've had dinner at La Rita in Barcelona and you have a picture of the banquet my husband and I sat in! The dinner was fantastic. I love Barcelona - probably one of the liveliest cities in Europe. They love to party!

Heidi Lyn said...

Holy Gorgeous! What a discovery. Thanks.

Francine Gardner said...

Love this designer work, he has great talent and sensitivity. Looking at your amazing posts before the trip, i cannot wait to see your post when you return from Barcelona...i miss this city sooo.....much

Karena said...

So gorgeous! I love the 1st image with the colorful trunks!

kathy said...

It is cold and dreary in New Mexico, thank you for the lovely visions, I will come back to your post throughout the day!! Kathy

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous! I've just recently started reading your blog and this is my favorite post yet. Makes me want to go to Spain immediately.

Anonymous said...

OMG!!! Lazaro is totally hot. Things I love: peak of chest hair, one alpha dog beside another, defiant "I don't care, whatever" look on his face.
Sorry, I think I'm ovulating...
Maria

Southern Aspirations said...

these are completely amazing spaces (and you had me with his pic and the dog!)

Paula Grace Designs said...

These are gorgeous pictures and such diverse styles. Makes me want to go there and see it all in person.
Paula Grace

T. Linh said...

WOW! <33
Now I'd like to spend my holidays in Spain :)

Amazing work! :)

Unknown said...

these are breathtaking. great find!

Shelter said...

These images are ALL so inspiring..

Jeff said...

Just back from Spain and tried Big Fish based on your post! Great meal, and gorgeous restaurant once we found it.... it's tucked off a small street with a similar name as one that is a block over :) I recommend you go. Have fun!