photo home-76.png photo about-71.png photo contact-65.png photo press-19.png photo LDV.png photo services-7.png

Monday, October 26, 2009

High Point Recap No. 3: Thomas O’Brien

P1040846

{Thomas O’Brien and Paloma}

After swooning all over Suzanne Kasler’s gorgeous designs, we were treated to a tour of Thomas O’Brien’s part of the Hickory Chair showroom. I have always enjoyed his clean, modern aesthetic and after doing a little math when I got home, I found that most of my Visual Comfort / Circa lights, are actually Thomas’ designs. It was incredibly interesting to hear about Thomas’ new collection and to learn where he drew his inspiration from. He is a very thoughtful, intelligent, and intuitive designer whose style is at once modern and classic, refined and relaxed. Everything has a purpose and a background story, which of course makes the pieces that much more special.

P1040783

We can’t resist a photo op!

Pictured are Cassandra of coco + kelley, Franki of Life in a Venti Cup, Tobi Fairley, and me

P1040774

Thomas’ wonderful, layered style

P1040778

I’m not sure if this was part of Thomas’ section of the showroom. It doesn’t look like his style, but I thought it was lovely.

P1040780

One of several beautiful beds by Thomas O’Brien

P1040782

I love everything about this sofa…the shape, the upholstery. The framed maps are great, too!

P1040788

Thomas explaining to us that this new bed was inspired by the bed at his grandparents’ summer home. It was so wonderful to “get inside his head”.

P1040790

A Better View of the Bed

I love the shield chair!

P1040794

A Wonderful Wingback Chair

P1040802

I love that the lines of this couch could totally look French with different upholstery. Imagine it in white linen. The tweedy, menswear-inspired fabric and the tufting on the pillows gives it a 1960s Mad Men vibe.

P1040806

Thomas O’Brien’s part of the Hickory Chair showroom was so impressive. He designed several types of rooms, including a few eating areas, like this marble island.

P1040809

I adore the use of banquette seating. The color and texture of the leather on this sofa/ banquette is yummy!

P1040812

I LOVED this coffee table.

P1040814

This combination of sofa and shelves was originally designed by Thomas O’Brien for Giorgio Armani before he had started Armani Casa.

P1040815

An Alternate Use for the Shelves

P1040818

Cute Leather Stools

P1040824

More of Thomas O’Brien’s Signature Styles

P1040828

I really liked this versatile, little shelf. I think it would work in several applications.

P1040832  Beautiful Mirrors with Nailhead Trim

P1040833

The colors in this rug that Thomas designed for Safavieh were so beautiful. The picture doesn’t really do the rug justice.

P1040835

I love this new dinnerware that Thomas designed for Reed and Barton. The deep ink color is gorgeous!

P1040838

More Items from Thomas O’Brien’s Reed and Barton Collection

P1040847

Tobi Fairley and Me

P1040849

Cassandra and Me

P1040851

The Hickory Chair Lunchroom that We Enjoyed Breakfast In

This has to be the prettiest lunchroom I’ve seen!

P1040852

I love the beautiful, soft greyish taupe color of this bookshelf and the contrast of the white books and silver orbs.

P1040853

Entrance to the Hickory Chair Showroom

P1040854

Hickory Chair Window Display

13 comments:

Jennifer said...

I love that bed! I've been trying to track it down, and had no idea it was a Thomas O'Brien. no wonder I love it!

thanks for sharing your fun trip!

brilliant asylum said...

Everything in the showroom looks very light, airy and comfortable. Thanks for sharing your photos!

Jaime @ laviejaime said...

Thomas O'Brien...swoon! Love his style/eye for detail/everything!

Now I must ask- where did you get your dress? Love it! :)

Visual Vamp said...

What a fun life you lead!
Great post!
Hey, do me a favor and please vote for me today...

http://contests.apartmenttherapy.com/2009/color/main/faceoff/56

Thanks so much...
xo xo

Kammy Kenman said...

The collection looks amazing-thanks for sharing. I want that cloche with the white handle!
www.cremefreshforthehome.blogspot.com

Jenn from The Home Decorating Company said...

I love the first bed that you pictured. The gray color of the bedding and the upholstery on the headboard is gorgeous!

Mimi said...

Great photos...Love those stools and that wingback chair..Oh, did I mention Thomas O'Brien?
Thanks for sharing.

Averill said...

I can't get over your trip -- what a fantastic time! I love that scrolling print wingback chair in particular. I love a modern print on a traditional chair.

Verdigris Vie said...

Oh my - this is such a treat! another great post Paloma. i can't pick what I love more - but will probably dream of that wing back chair.. Very elegant..

LindsB said...

I just love everythign he does- he has such an eye for detail and all of his pieces are amazing! I could take one of everything I just saw!!

Apt. #34 said...

Looks like you ladies sure had fun!

Freckles Chick said...

I am seething w/ jealousy that you got to meet the fabulous Thomas O. Seriously, it's coming out of my very pores. =]

I adore your ourfit. And how does your hair look so good everytime?!

There I go again, w/ my jealousy.

Brett Hemphill said...

Love the Thomas O'Brien rug collection. We sell those rugs in our showroom - Hemphill's Rugs & Carpets in Costa Mesa, CA