photo home-76.png photo about-71.png photo contact-65.png photo press-19.png photo LDV.png photo services-7.png

Saturday, November 10, 2007

Sex and the City: Personal Decorating Style

As a consummate fan of Sex and the City, I have always been amused by the fact that the girls' apartments reflect so many aspects of their personalities. It makes me wonder what people would be able to tell about my personality through my home.

Carrie's apartment is a complete reflection of her personality- eclectic, stylish, scattered, and very New York. It is a small, one bedroom apartment. While it is stylish, it is evident that it plays second-fiddle to her love of clothes and shoes. Unlike the apartments of the other three SATC girls, Carrie's doesn't feel "done". Carrie wears her heart on her sleeve and her apartment follows suit. Everything is out in the open. Nothing is hidden away. Her magazines are meticulously archived in her entry way, but the rest of the apartment feels very lived-in. The majority of her furnishings look like flea-market finds, but her showpiece is most definitely her closet, painted in a beautiful blue-grey hue. It is the part of the apartment that she has given the most thought to and has spent the most on. After all, the girl did say she likes her money where she can see it...hanging in her closet.



























Charlotte's Park Avenue apartment is classic, chic, and feminine just like her. It is filled with traditional furnishings and a subdued color palette composed mostly of beige, white, and pink. It is a huge space, especially by New York standards and that is evident in the apartment. Most of the rooms open into one another, so you are aware of the apartment's grand scale from any perspective in the space. Take the bed that Charlotte fought so hard for when she revamped the apartment from Bunny's former look of duck decoys and plaid. The bed is so huge, that special nightstands had to be built just to stand up to its size. Overall, the space has a very romantic feel, despite its history.












Miranda lived in a beautiful apartment on Manhattan's Upper West Side before she and Steve moved their family to Brooklyn. It is obvious that she had help from a decorator, as she is always busy with work. Plus, we all remember the episode in season 2 in which her decorator gets engaged to the guy she wanted for herself. Who could forget those hideous frogs? Miranda's apartment isn't rough around the edges. As a matter of fact, it looks quite polished. However, it could be described as hard around the edges. Take the star burst mirror above the fireplace or her metal bed, for example. Like Miranda, they have cold, hard edges. Everyone knows that she tends to be blunt and is not one to mince her words. Yet those who know her, know that she has a big heart and a playful side. The multi-colored back splash in her kitchen seems to reflect that.















Samantha's apartment in the meatpacking district is totally her- sexy with an edge. The color palette is completely in tune with her personality. The bed is dressed in fire engine red, naturally. It's the color of passion, which Samantha has plenty of, yet her kitchen is a cool blue color. In my opinion, this is perfectly fitting because it reflects the fact that she has a very cool exterior and doesn't usually allow herself to get too involved with the men in her life. Of the four apartments, it is the space I like the least.




If I were to look at these spaces objectively and had no idea that they were from my favorite show, I would probably like Charlotte's or Miranda's the most, though I would make changes to both. Which space appeals to you the most? What part of your home reflects your personality the most?



All photos courtesy of HBO.

13 comments:

Things That Inspire said...

I love this post, because even though I have seen every episode of SATC, there are details from your analysis of each woman's apartment that I never noticed before.

I never really liked Carrie's apartment. I am the kind of person who will spend thousands on their house, but hates to spend over $100 on a pair of shoes. Completely the opposite of Carrie! However, I love how she has her magazines organized. What a good idea! I need s system like that for my decorating magazines.

I remember when Charlotte was bed shopping with her mother in law, and told her that modern beds these days do not even have bedskirts. Her mother in law was horrified!

I like Charlotte's apartment the best, although, like you, there are some aspects of Mirandas apartment that I like too. Miranda always seemed to be so into her sheets. I like that about her!

Great post. I can't wait until the SATC movie. I miss the show!

cotedetexas said...

What a great article!!! I love that show so much and miss it tons. Thanks for your comment on my blog. btw, did you ever get my email telling you that I am friends with Andy Singer?

Joni

Unknown said...

No, I didn't, Joni. I'll have to let my husband know. It is such a small world!

Sheri said...

Paloma, I love this blog. I think you have hit the nail on the head with their personalities. You are a set designers dream viewer, I'm sure. :)

Of the four, I definitely see myself in Charlotte's home the most. I love the classiness of it mixed with such charming femininity. I think I would have to throw a little of Miranda's style into it, as well. I am not a huge fan of Carrie's. Maybe seven years ago when I was single, but definitely not at this stage in my life. It is far too cluttered for my sensability. Samatha's is my least favorite, as well.

MrsKatherineA said...

If I could live another life, I'd like to try Carrie's...or at least her apartment and her wardrobe! I also loooove Charlotte's perfectly proper set up!

t.b.f.love. said...

first of all, i love your blog - i was actually first attracted to it by the title!

second, this post - amazing. i am a fellow huuuge fan of s&tc, and it was so interesting to read these perceptions! i never consciously realized how much their living spaces said about the characters, but i think you are dead-on with your insights. that being said... i think i like charlotte's home the most, but carrie's closet. for me, my favorite room in the condo right now is our kitchen - it's bright & sunny & is where my husband and i can cook together.

thanks for the great post!

mrsplainjane said...

Great post P! And I esp. love Carrie's simple subway tile in her bathroom.

Anonymous said...

Hi Paloma

I just found your blog today via Cote de Texas. I am a fellow Houstonian and former suburb dweller.
I love this article and your blog. I will check back with you.

Carolina

Anonymous said...

I would like to find some pics of the apartment carrie and big were going to move into. Do you know where you could maybe find them? And her new closet is gorgeous! Well, I better shut up and not ruin anymore for anyone.

Anonymous said...

I love this show and would love to know where Carrie's bed comforter came from. Or at least one that looks just like it.

Unknown said...

Anon, I would check Dwell, Inhabit, or Anthropologie for something similar.

Anonymous said...

I am looking for Charlotte's bedroom wallpaper or something similar. Any ideas? Thanks!

Mr. Worthy said...

I'm a hetero african american male fan of the show and I love Samantha's apartment. I am currently seeking someone who can make me that bed or atleast some variation of it!