photo home-76.png photo about-71.png photo contact-65.png photo press-19.png photo LDV.png photo services-7.png

Thursday, May 21, 2009

High Fashion Home: Max Azria

The home of fashion designer Max Azria and his beautiful wife Lubov is nothing short of show-stopping. Over-the-top and dramatic to the core, the home almost feels like a movie set. This has to be a fantasy, right? Wrong. It is real! Max was dubious when his wife first announced that she wanted to design the L.A. mansion in the Holmby Hills neighborhood herself without his help, but she did just that after their decorator quit upon her insistence to use a piece of petrified wood in the foyer. The petrified wood is just the beginning. The house definitely takes its roots in fashion and it shows. Each room is larger than life and filled with the fun details that characterize Azria's designs. It is not a classic or timeless house by any means, but it is fashion-forward (for the time being). I suspect that the décor changes with the seasons just in time for the new collections. I certainly don't love the entire house, but there are specific rooms and elements that I think are fabulous. Honestly though, it takes a lot of moxie to live in a home with such a huge personality and that is most definitely something to admire.

The entire Azria Clan pose in their living room complete with an orange horse and laser-cut floral garland hanging from the ceiling.

Max and Lubov Azria lounge in a bubble chair amongst the stars, or starburst mirrors.

Bold Pillows Play Against the Silver Bergere Chairs in the Foyer

This piece of petrified wood served as the inspiration for the house. Lubov eventually had a cascading crystal chandelier built into it to mimic a waterfall. See what I mean? Doesn't it feel more like a movie set than a home? I just can't imagine getting used to this and feeling at home, but to each his own.

Azria's office features a full spectrum of colors, including a Paul Smith-designed rug from the Rug Company.

"A built-in banquette anchors a wall of colorful artwork."

Lubov and daughter Agnes pose in the spa. The doorway is great!

The library is my favorite room in the house. It is much more subdued. I love the use of soft grey as well as the fantastic monogram pillow.

This bold corner features lively yellow paint, contrasting wallpaper and Fornasetti plates.

In the end, interior designer Aly Daly helped Lubov and Max to carry out their vision for their home. Daly designed this custom series of light fixtures for the dramatic sitting room.

The dining room features a mirrored sideboard and silver walls.

It also features a Tord Boontje for Swarovski Crystal Palace Chandelier and a mirrored fireplace.

The Moroccan-inspired outdoor living space features a group of Moroccan lanterns and metallic poufs.

How do you feel about this glamorous home? Do you love it or hate it?

All images via Harper's Bazaar

15 comments:

Daly Essentials said...

LOVE it! Over the top for sure!! but the silver bergere chairs in the foyer are GORGEOUS, and i think the best part about designing is having a little fun - an orange horse is hilarious! and is that a white pear next the the crazy striped chair in the office?! so wild, but isn't that what Cali is for - a little wild fun?

Anonymous said...

i LOVE th yellow with the black wallpaper..and the multiple starburst mirrors! soo GLAM!

Lauren said...

This is unreal!!! I loooovvvee how she really pushes the envelope - so inspiring!

Anonymous said...

Wowee, wow! I love it.
I'm totally serious when I say, if I could fit a giant bright orange horse in my house, I totally would!!

L said...

Some of it is a bit much for me, but other rooms I love! I think the petrified wood is great, but the faux waterfall? no thanks. It's a lot of fun, that's for sure! I mean, really, did we expect Max Azria's home to be cozy? :)

LindsB said...

That is one shiny house and I like it.

Fashion Maven said...

Oh wow I love that house! That first picture made my jaw drop! Gorgeous. I wouldn't do everything in that house in my own home, but I just love what they did with it... and I may borrow a few ideas!

TheBeautyFile said...

Not only an exquisite designer, but what an amazing home!

Dee Dee Hannah said...

very interesting...

I'm very over starburst mirrors but I love the upholstered walls

Yoli said...

Give me the chairs and the doorway and keep the rest!

Kwisto said...

wow this does look great. looks like a crazy art piece...although i'm not sure how comfortable it would be to actually live in it

###### said...

wow this rooms are beautiful!

Jen Laceda | Milk Guides said...

Ok, this is one of the most glamourous, decadent, elegant, luscious, sparkling home I've seen of late!

Champagne Macarons said...

I am deep in love with his exquisite home!! I especially like the wall coverings in photos 12 & 13. Can you tell me where to find it?
xoxo, B

A Casa da Vá said...

LOVE IT! So unique...